<Warning>Non technical post follows</Warning>
I was in a mail thread this morning with a friend who recently stepped in the PM role, on the challenges of being a PM. These are my particular set (which I’ve updated from the version in that thread).
- Digesting all the different data points we have and prioritizing
- Finding the biggest bets that yield the greatest value with the smallest effort
- Driving customer scenarios into the team
- Getting the team bought in on a design when there is controversy.
- Keeping focused on the prize, and resisting the urge to just do stuff because we can.
- Making tough tradeoffs / cuts.
- Meetings that go no where.
Update: I forgot one really big one that is critical for me, “Listening rather than speaking”
These are the challenges I have faced in particular. If you ask other PMs I am sure you will see variance in the list, though I suspect there will be quite a bit of overlap.