Daemon-Tools for ISO images

If you’re like me and often installing software to your computer, it can be a pain to burn ISO files (like the one you get from MSDN Subscriber downloads).  Daemon-Tools to the rescue.  It lets you create virtual drives and mount ISO files directly (no burning or Roxio-hell required!).

Here’s how it helped me:

I downloaded an enormous ISO file from MSDN, fired up Virtual Daemon Manager to mount the ISO file without having to create a CD first.  The Virtual CD-Rom drive read the ISO file fine and launched the installation.  I thought I was in the clear until, in the process of the installation, the setup package prompted for me to swap out my CD and put another CD in the drive (apparently there were some file from a related MSFT product required for this install).  My initial reaction was . . . crap . . . but the Daemon-Tool manager lets me mount up to 4 virtual drives at once, so I just mounted another drive to the other ISO file and I was in the clear.   For those of you with functional CD burners (and functional burning software), this will still save you some hassle!

Thanks to lil’ Tim from Optimize for sharing this with me!  I’m sure there’s other interesting facets to Dameon-Tools, so check it out.

Happy .Netting!

14 Responses to Daemon-Tools for ISO images

1. yman says:

With the new version of DAEMON Tools Lite, the advantage is that you can can burn the images you’re using with DAEMON Tools Lite right away or just test an image before burning it to see if it was created corr

2. Log says:

4 virtual drives at once Is this limit for M Xp ? wat @ vista is it a same?

3. Nick says:

At Jon. Google Yasu and the first link you get will be for a download. then put the yasu.exe in the daemon tools directory and you should be set.

4. RICKNOSE says:

is deamon tools the same as nero :s

5. cily says:

To create/edit/extract iso, I recommended MagicISO.

6. jon says:

hi there.i got an iso file of farcry and it was about 3.2 Gig.so i mounted it up using daemon tools.after installing it i tried to run it but it kept asking for the CD rom!what do i do next??please hlp..coz it took me ages to download it and i don’t want to delete it! thanx a ot man..pleas email me if you can..kajon95@gmail.com

7. Mark says:

Well all this is great for mounting ISOs as a drive letter (my personal choice is Nero ImageDrive), what I am personally looking for is the ability to mount an ISO to a directory rather than a drive letter, the same way CD jukeboxes mount CDs in subdirs of the jukebox’s main drive letter.

I’m looking to do this as 90% of all my ISOs are installation programs that are backed up to CDs but which can run from anywhere (i.e. don’t need to be rooted at a drive letter). As such, I’d prefer to just mount them all and be done with it.

So, anyone heard of mounting an ISO (or NRG) image to a directory?

e.g.

D is my main data drive:

D:/images/My_app/CD1 <– Mounts my_app_cd1.iso

D:/images/My_app/CD2 <– Mounts my_app_cd2.iso

D:/images/My_app/cd3 <– Mounts my_app_cd3.iso

Note, that just like mounting a junction in NTFS, the directories CD1-CD3 are themselves empty and just link to the disc’s image.

Since I’m not sure how to set up monitoring for responses here (I can’t find the setting on the site) can you also reply to my e-mail address too? Mark(at)MarkDonohoe.com? Thanks in advance!

8. mudknot669 says:

need iso toolz

9. Grant says:

Whoa, thanks Rick for the Alcohol 120% tip. I thought it was comment spam at first, but upon a little googling I learned about http://www.alcohol-software.com/ — it looks to be worth checking out!

10. rick says:

another great tool for this is Alcohol 120%

11. David Magnus Nome says:

If you don’t have the registry value, just create it.

12. David Magnus Nome says:

No problem to get Daemon-Tools to mount an image when you double click on it.

The command line syntax for mounting an image is: daemon.exe -mount <n>,<path> Where <n> is the number of the virtual drive.

If you want daemon-tools to mount an image to the first virtual device, modify the registry key [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT]\Applications\daemon.exe\shell\open\command

to the following:

default = "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -mount 0,"%1"

The next time you want to mount an iso, just choose to open it with daemon.exe

13. Jim Bolla says:

Another use for daemon tools is if you have a lot of rarely used files. Such as archives of digital photos on your harddirve or such. "Burn" these into an ISO and mount them with Daemon Tools if needed. Now instead of tons of little files on your hard drive, you have one big file. This is nice for:

* Anti-virus scanners that always scan every file

* Transferring over a network (less overhead)

* Takes up less room in the FAT, esp useful on RAID arrays

What would be really cool is if doubl clicking an ISO file automatically mounted it and opened it up as if i just clicked a shortcut to a different drive.

14. Nathan says:

You can actualy mount the second disc image under the first virtual drive "live" during the install. Deamon-tools rock.