This is shaping up to be a good Fall, and there’s lots to look forward to here in Geekdom.
- Serenity. We finally get the movie version of Firefly. If you never saw this on TV, do yourself a favor and rent the DVD’s. Think Star Wars if it centered on Han Solo at the Cantina scene. I like the new Battlestar Galactica, but I thought Firefly was better.
- Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan. It’s a guilty pleasure. I’ve been reading this series since I was a sophomore in high school and now I’m a 31 year old husband and father. Over half of my life, come to think of it. This episode looks good and I think we’re finally getting to the end.
- Feast of Crows by George R. R. Martin. About time.
- The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson is out in trade paperback. I’m almost to the point where I ask developers in interviews if they’ve read Snow Crash or Cryptnonicom. Almost every good developer I’ve worked with is a Neal Stephenson fan.
- Olympos by Dan Simmons. It’s been out for a little while, but I haven’t gotten to read it yet.
- Cooler weather down here in Austin, Texas. The daily trip to the park after work with my toddler will be a whole bunch more pleasant in about 6 weeks.
- NFL Sunday Ticket. Every game. Technology is great. Go Chiefs!
- I’m not a big Longhorns fan, but it’s gonna be cool to watch them in the hunt for the national title all year. Assuming they get past that little Ohio State game in Columbus thing.
Yeah, I know that Whidbey is finally going to be released for real this fall, but we won’t switch over for quite a while. Besides, I’m not touching VS 2005 until ReSharper 2.0 is ready to go on the .Net 2.0 framework.