Yesterday I was switching our test automation driver layer from WatiN to Selenium RC (Firefox / Chrome / Opera support and I was livid with the COM errors from IE in WatiN). I think I’m glad that we made the switch, but it took quite a bit of trial and error to bend Selenium RC to my will. That and something else I read today got me to pondering the worst days I’ve ever had as a coder trying to make unfamiliar or confusing technology work. My list is something like this:
- Using a CLOB or BLOB datatype in Oracle. I’ve done it several times, but it never seems to get any more pleasant
- Getting a custom authentication scheme to work with x509 certificates. Shudder.
- The day that a client developer hosed our CVS repository
- The day that our project, the project that was going so marvelously with the team that was starting to gel, was shelved on a management whim
- The day a month before go live when the BA finally saw fit to tell me about the other half of the requirements document that no one had told me about previously
- The days that followed “here’s how to use our homegrown ORM”
- The days that followed “you must use our standard architecture for…”
- Writing queries against a custom Active Directory schema. Ended up ditching AD a month later and just put all the user information in the database. The nice, predictable, familiar database.
- Any number of days doing test automation with NFit or FitNesse
- Almost any day fighting with Legacy code, but that shouldn’t really count
- The day and a half I spent making StructureMap work with open generic types a couple years ago.