Vista can’t run VS.NET 2003

I'm going to jump on the "I'm outraged" bandwagon and blog my disappointment, yet again, with the VS.NET team. It's official, you won't be able to use VS.NET 2002 or 2003 with Vista and VS.NET 2005 with SP1 will work but with some "compatibility issues".

Thankfully, the VB6 IDE will work. I bet there are a couple people laughing their asses off at the rest of us right now.

I have to maintain code in 2003 so <insert won't buy your product threat here>.

Anyways,  very quickly from the top of my head:

– Visual Source Safe sucks (although 2005 _is_ better)
– Versions of the .NET framework are tied to specific versions of VS.NET
– For all versions of VS.NET, service packs are very few and very very far away (despite serious bugs)
– VS.NET 2005 is still a buggy IDE – I still get compiler errors for things that don't exist, large projects are problematic
– Features which should be IDE features, such as E&C and Refactoring are somehow language features
– Google is faster and better than the integrated help system
– A lot of people are unhappy with the VSTS model and price (though I'm not really one of them)
VS.NET 2002 and 2003 won't run on Vista

On that last and newest point, I think I see a very unique and good opportunity for JetBrains here…

I would have simply posted my agreement with Frans
and not populated the blogsphere anymore, but anonymous comments are
disabled…I still think 1/2 the bloggers on weblogs.asp.net have no
clue that people can't register…what's the point of blogging if
people can't comment?

14 Responses to Vista can’t run VS.NET 2003

1. Rik the hacker says:

VS2003 in Vista – “find in files” crash – right-click Visual Studio link -> Properties -> Compatibility and tick Disactivate Visual Themes. It works ! Where is the logic in that though …

2. Phil says:

Unfortunatly, I have just found that ‘Find in Files’ does not work in VS2003 on Vista RTM. I managed to install VS2003 and SP1 and all was going fine (debugging unmanged code etc) untill I searched my solution for somehting… CRASH!

Well, although in the Microsoft world, it is possibly to constantly use the newest technology, unfortunatly, in my pittyful world, we have to support applicaitons that are built in VS2003 and event 2002 & 6.0 (generally unmanged c++). Do we simply state that our products are not Vista compaitble (although clearly the applicaitons run fine once developed)?

How are we supposed to debug problems if we can not debug them on the OS the user is running?

I can’t believe MS could make this decision for a supported product. I could understand it maybe for a product out of the suport cycle.

Microsoft use to be very good to developers, which obviously worked because there are so many applications for Windows. It quite simply helped make Windows the success it is today. What happens when said develpoers either stop developing Windows applications OR don’t support the new OS, simply because MS cant provide support in their new OS’s? Surly what will happen is the number of applicaitons for Vista will decrease. Won’t that, in the long run, mean people either won’t upgrade to Vista, or won’t use Windows full stop?

And as for installing inside a VM – Well bang goes the ability to debug in the OS the user is running – again so its no real argument.

Might pissed off about this – especially something as “simple” as find in files! Typical.

/Rant over.
    Phil

3. karl says:

Me:
    Maybe…one of the initial issues was that we didn’t get a reason why. It turns out that it has a lot to do with security and the debugger. At least we have a reason now…and it’s probably a good one (we really have to take their word for it). I don’t know much about it, but it makes sense…you assume debuggers run very deep in the kernel and hook deep into the system…

4. karl says:

Derek: 1.1 apps will run…it’s the actual IDE (Visual Studio) that’ll have problem.

Since this was initially reported, it’s been cleared up that for the most part VS.NET 2003 _WILL_ run on vista and there shouldn’t be any problems. However, I don’t think it’ll officially be supported on Microsoft and you _might_ have some issues, but I think for what most people do, it’ll be fine.

5. Derek says:

Does this mean version 1.1 components won’t run, or can’t even be modified on Vista which “has” to work for a version 1.1 sub-program?

6. Me says:

This is just one of those examples of microsoft telling everyone if you want to develop apps for us, you have to follow what we do. Java is sounding tastier at the moment.

7. Alexa Pongracz says:

It is sad, that with all of the stability one could expect from a company with the prominence of microsoft that there is no stability, no cross compatibility even within its own projects. There should be backwards compatibilty to 2003 at least and it should run, without glitches on all versions of Microsoft OS from 2000 on.

8. Dan McKinley says:

I don’t think I was ever a VB programmer, either. I merely had a bunch of VB projects thrust upon me by developers who have subsequently gone on to pursue careers in the gravel industry. Maybe I’m in denial.

9. karl says:

Dan,
    I was never really a VB programmer. I did program a couple ActiveX controls in VB6 a month or so ago and the going was very rough. Never figured they were XP specific…

10. Dan McKinley says:

The funniest thing to me is the implication that the VB6 IDE “works” on Windows XP. It “works,” if by “works” you mean “has dozens of UI glitches not present on Win2k in addition to the ridiculous compiler problems unknown to users of real languages.”

11. karl says:

The VM idea sucks. (1) my employer has to buy better hardware than normal (2) my employer needs to buy more licenses than normal.

It’s a big win for Microsoft, and not so much for everyone else.

12. Frans Bouma says:

I KNOW you can’t register, but that’s the problem of Telligent and their incapability to run the site, sorry for that.

I disabled anonymous comments because of the # of spamreplies during the day. Though I think writing your own comment in a blogpost won’t hurt :)

13. Jason says:

Here’s an idea for Microsoft, build an IDE that can work with multiple versions of the framework through plug-ins. You know, like all those other IDEs for those other languages out there.

If it wasn’t for ReSharper, I wouldn’t even use Visual Studio.

14. Charles says:

Why would you not just run legacy apps in a vm? I’ve set up one for VS 2003 and like it and the concept so much that i am moving most things to a vm platform. A vm for vs2005, even a vm for databases. This way it is easy to keep the distinct environments more pure, can copy and take a vm with me on another computer, can put the vm on a big computer for more horsepower if needed. All in all a big win.