What’s in a Title?

The relative hype around the Foundation ebook has been pretty fun. Today I noticed a very detailed (and positive) review of the book. Which is, of course, flattering.

If there’s one thing a few people don’t care for though, it’s the title. They don’t feel that it properly captures the spirit of the book, or that it isn’t as marketable as it could be. I think if this was a “real” book, the publisher would have insisted on something different – likely with the words “ALT.NET” in big print.

However, given that it wasn’t commercial, I had the luxury of being a little cleverer. The point, which I think most people get, is that this stuff *IS* fundamental. If enterprise developers think “fundamentals” mean if-statements, recursions and hash algorithm, than we’re in trouble. IoC might not be what they teach in school – but it should be. Or at least it should be the first thing you teach yourself. It reminds me of the funny pro-Google quote:

“Google uses Bayesian filtering the way Microsoft uses the if statement”

If I had to do it again though, I’d probably change the name. My ego can’t stand knowing I might have gotten more praise with a better title.

This entry was posted in Foundations. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

7 Responses to What’s in a Title?

1. Cmon_Stoke says:

Perhaps “Foundations of BETTER Programming” would be more approriate.

I have already passed this on to 2 team members in the hope that they start to embrace better progamming techniques, So thank you.

2. Rob Bazinet says:

Hi Karl,

I am glad you liked my review of your book. I admit the title through me a bit but I was very pleasently surprised by the content. To me, it reads like a how-to guide to ALT.NET.

Thanks for writing the book, it was a very enjoyable read.

3. Gregory Madsen says:

I have read parts of the web postings and am looking forward to spending some time with the download. You are to be congratulated for releasing it on the net for free. This stuff should be in the common domain, but your time is still valuable to spend writing it. I fully expect to make it required reading for our whole team, and the timing couldn’t be better. These are all topics that I have been trying to evangelise here and having it all in one place will be a big help.

As far as the title goes, I don’t have a problem with it at all. I have been programming one thing or another for over 30 years, yet I hardly think that I won’t learn something new from almost anything I read. Anyway, the title says “Foundations” not beginners, or basic, or elementary. These are foundations to good design, and need to be learned by all, no matter how much experience you have. Thank you for writing and releasing this.

4. Ali says:

I think the book covers many topics that a lot of books don’t do in an elegant way.. I just finished reading it. This book is an entry to every topic it touched.. so if you need to get deeper understanding try to read a more detailed book like NHibernate in action http://www.manning.com/kuate/

5. Grant Palin says:

I’m still working my way through the book, but it has been a good read. I like your coverage of specific topics in some depth, rather than just skimming it like other publications do.

It’s not fundamental material, I would consider it advanced material.

6. Erik says:

Don’t sweat the title too much. I suspect the problem is ego on the other end – so-called “expert” programmers not wanting to be seen reading a book on “foundations”…

7. Jorge Diaz Tambley says:

I’ve been programming for a VERY long time and I though a ‘Fundamentals’ book was of no interesting…. I was wrong, I’ve learned a LOT so much (I still have to go through the sample application)

Congratulations from a chilean reader.