My boss came to me today with the need to have a list he is maintaining published to a SharePoint site. This list needed to be viewed only by a select group of people. This list was rather dynamic, and columns could be added or removed as needed. He needed this published by COB today. He also requires the ability to publish this list whenever the need arises.
The solution I implemented only took about five minutes of my time. Here is what I did:
- Created a site and added my boss as an administrator. (He can add people as he see fit).
- Modified the homepage. I removed all the default web parts except events.
- Added a Page Viewer Web Part and the widths were set to 900 by 900 pixels and set the Frame Style to none.
- Added a default webpage called pageview.htm (you can name this whatever you like) to the Shared Documents document library.
- Pointed the Page Viewer Web Part to pageview.htm.
- Saved Excel file as a webpage and name it pageview.htm –works with Word too :).
- Uploaded this document to the Shared Documents document library of the new site.
- Alternatively, you can tell the office application to publish to the document library (on Save As).