This morning I had the surprise to see my machine infected with a malware, Antimalware Doctor, a pseudo-antivirus that is itself a virus! Since I am running Windows 7 in non-admin mode and didn’t see any install window, I was not only surprised, but also disappointed by all the security promises that Microsoft did for the last years.
This malware was particularly boring since once logged in, it killed immediately any processus of any applications started! (task manager, others windows tools and any antivirus included!).
None of the multiple fixes found by googling worked for me. Hopefully I had the idea of an easy fix after an hour struggling. So the idea is:
- Log as another user (admin or not)
- Start menu > Type MSConfig in the cmd menu
- Deactivate every service and application started at logging time
- Restart the computer
- Relog with the infected account
- Now the malware is deactivated, it is time to search for every infected registry keys and files with a solid anti-virus, and remove everything (Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware did the trick for me).
Note that searching for every infected registry keys and files from another account than the infected one didn’t work.
Hope this help!